Memorial Day Weekend is around the corner — have you started planning your holiday weekend meals? Whether you’re a self-proclaimed “chef” or depend on a microwave, are going camping or sticking around home in your backyard, we’ve rounded up some easy recipes that anyone can manage! They will have your friends and family running for seconds…or thirds! Happy cooking!
1. MARINATED MELON WITH MINT & LIME ZEST
There’s nothing better than a fresh fruit salad to kick off any meal. Not only will this be a whole crowd pleaser, but it’s also super simple to prepare.
1/2 c. pure honey
2 mint sprigs, plus 2 tablespoons chopped, for serving
2 c. watermelon balls
1 c. cantaloupe balls
1 tsp. lime zest
1. Combine honey, mint sprigs, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer; stir until honey is dissolved. Cool to room temperature; discard mint.
2. Combine watermelon, cantaloupe, honey syrup, lime zest, and chopped mint in a bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with a slotted spoon.
2. LEMON AND PARSLEY POTATO SALAD
Instead of using heavy mayonnaise, lighten up your potato salad with this low-calorie alternative recipe!
For the honey mustard dressing:
1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
1⁄4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey (preferably local)
1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
8 grinds of the pepper mill
For the potato salad:
2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced celery (optional)
1 cup raisins
3 Tbsp capers
8-10 medium red potatoes
1. For the honey mustard dressing: In a lidded jar, combine the mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Seal tightly and shake vigorously to combine. For a creamier dressing, whiz in a blender. Store in an airtight container, chilled, for up to 2 weeks.
2. Combine the parsley, onion, celery (if using), raisins, and capers in an airtight container or ziplock bag and then chill for up to 3 days.
3. SHRIMP FOIL PACKETS
Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer, so why not serve up a delicious summer staple with a camping twist?! Shrimp, fresh corn, zucchini, and sausage all simmering over a campfire in a convenient foil packet…is your mouth watering yet??
1 ear of corn, cut into 8 pieces
1 medium zucchini, sliced thick
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb uncooked shrimp
2 andouille sausage
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
4 tablespoons butter
Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Tear an 18” piece of heavy-duty foil for each packet, along with a 16” sheet of parchment paper for each. Layer the parchment paper on top of the foil.
2. Divide the corn, zucchini, minced garlic, shrimp, spices, and butter between the two sheets of foil.
4. CLASSIC BURGER-JOINT BURGER
Camping isn’t camping without a juicy burger grilled over an open flame. Our girl, Martha Stewart, has a recipe that is a must-try during your Memorial Day Weekend camping trip or at home barbecue.
1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean), preferably grass-fed
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Mayonnaise, for grilling buns and for serving
4 seeded hamburger buns, such as Big Marty’s
4 slices American cheese
1 beefsteak tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Dill pickle slices, for serving
Shredded iceberg lettuce, for serving
Ketchup or other desired condiments, for serving
1. Preheat grill for direct-heat cooking. Gently form beef into 4 patties, each 4 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick (do not overwork meat or patties will be tough). Season generously with salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise onto the cut sides of each bun.
5. CAMPFIRE PANCAKES WITH PEANUT MAPLE SYRUP
Rise and shine! Your crew will need their energy for all the fun they’re going to have over the holiday weekend. An easy breakfast that will provide energy, while tasting oh so delicious, are these fluffy pancakes. Bonus, the batter can be made ahead of time so you can kick back with some hot coffee!
1 package (6-1/2 ounces) chocolate chip muffin mix
2/3 cup 2% milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon chunky peanut butter
1. In a large bowl, combine muffin mix, milk and egg; stir just until moistened. Fold in marshmallows and chips.
2. Lightly grease a griddle; heat over medium heat. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
6. OVER-THE-COALS BOURBON, BLUEBERRY, AND PEACH COBBLER
There’s nothing better than fresh fruit packed inside a delicious cobbler! Pro tip: mix the dry ingredients ahead of time for easy assembly.
6 cups sliced peaches (about 5 peaches)
3/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup bourbon (or dark rum)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Start a campfire and wait until the flames die down and the coals glow red with white ash. Meanwhile, make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the peaches, blueberries, bourbon, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well to coat the peaches and blueberries evenly. Set aside.
7. S’MORES WITH A TWIST
Everyone loves the classic s’more – gooey toasted marshmallow, melty chocolate, crispy graham cracker. Mmm. But, how about a s’more with a twist? Instead of the standard Hershey’s chocolate bar, create your s’more by using another one of your favorite chocolate bars like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! You could also switch out the graham cracker with an Oreo, chocolate chip cookie or…dare we say…brownie?! Want to get extra creative? Make your own homemade marshmallows with this delicious recipe! Check out the following recipe for some more inspiration!
8 graham cracker squares
2 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55-oz each), each halved
4 large marshmallows
4 long-handled forks
1. On each of 4 graham cracker squares, place candy bar half.
2. Spear each marshmallow on long-handled fork; toast over campfire coals or over grill with low heat.
3. Place 1 toasted marshmallow on top of each chocolate bar. Top each with cracker; press together and hold for a few seconds to melt chocolate.
With meal planning and prep out of the way, you’ll have more time to relax during your long holiday weekend. Cheers to delicious food, great company, and camping in the great outdoors at Jellystone Park™ Glen Ellis!